Saturday, March 31, 2012

Strength and Form

Eggs are a perfect shape but once they are pierced and blown they become even more fragile that when they were whole.

This is how I cover eggs. It take only a small amount of clay. If your are going to spend a lot of time covering and detailing an egg it makes sense to strength it with a thin layer of clay first. I am using a sheet of clay that has a mokumegane pattern but plain clay will work just as well. Millefiori work some times breaks up when you stretch it sideways so it us not a good first choice. So – Here we go –

How to Cover and Egg


1. Your will need a thin sheet of polymer clay #7 on my Atlas (.75mm), LPC (liquid polymer clay). a brush for LPC, a tissue blade, small cutter, a pointed blade and a blown egg.
2. Coat the egg shell with LCP.
3. Cut a strip of your prepared clay slightly longer then the length of the egg and three times it’s width.
4. Wrap the sheet of clay around the egg.
5. If the sheet is a little short a gentle tug will sometimes fill the gap.
6. If there is an overlap trim it off the extra.
7. Pull the clay around the top curves of the egg.
8. Gather the ends up by pinching and pushing the clay together.
9. Smooth that ridges that have formed with a knitting needle or other round object.
10. Trim off the extra clay at the egg’s ends with the pointed blade.
11. Use a small cutter to cut away the rough ends.
12. Use the pointed blade to tidy the area.
13. Use the same little cutter from #11 to cut a perfect patches from your remaining clay sheet.
14. Apply the patches to the ends of the egg.
15. Smooth the join between the body of the egg and the patch.
16. Prick a small hole in the end to the egg to let the air escape when the egg is baked.

I cook my eggs at 280 degrees Fahrenheit (137. 8 degrees Celsius) for 40 minutes. When the egg is cooked and cooled it can take quit a bit of abuse without breaking.

12 comments:

Polyanya said...

Wow Joan - how generous of you to post such detail! I've spent all last week honing my kaleidoscope techniques (ala Carol Simmons style)and covering my hens eggs. Bit disappointed with the result as I used Cernit and not enough white to keep the clay from darkening too much in the oven and thus losing detail. I've also tried applying sheets of clay and cane slices and prefer sheets as the finish is smoother. :)

Fiona said...

I'm going to give this a go. Great tip to use a cutter to keep the join neat. I'll see how I go.

cara said...

thank you- this is the best tutorial on covering eggs that i have seen!

joan tayler said...

Thank you all for the encouragement. I always wonder when I do something like this: Is anyone listening? Am I giving good information? - I love to know that what I write is useful.

Jane said...

I'm heading to the kitchen now to blow out a few eggs which I'll work on tomorrow. I join the others in thanking you.

joan tayler said...

I would love to see how your eggs turn out. Send me pictures if you have time. I am a sucker for pictures.

Window Of Heaven said...

29Just read your awesome tutoral! I feel confident that I can do it because you have given such great direction. Thankyou! I will try this in the week to come =)

joan tayler said...

I love to know that people are finding and using this tutorial. I am waiting to see some of the results. Have fun.

Christina Mendoza said...

I love this idea! I found it on Pinterest, and will be repinning it. Thanks for sharing!

One Creative Queen said...

This is absolutely fantastic!! I am thrilled to have found this - thanks to Craft Gossip for sharing the info. You are an amazing artist!

slkunze said...

I've hoarded such a supply of small young hen eggs, and I love seeing how you cover eggs so beautifully! Thank you for taking the time to write/photograph this tutorial and for free, no less!

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tutorial! the tip about using a cutter for the ends will make life a LOT easier.